Associate Professor of Teaching Economics
- Ph.D., Economics, University of California, Davis, 2004
- M.A., Economics, University of California, Davis, 2000
- B.A., Honors Economics, University of California, San Diego, 1997
- Certificate of Political Studies, University of Lyon II, France, 1996
Janine Lynn Flathmann Wilson is an Associate Professor of Teaching Economics. She serves as the Undergraduate Chair to the Department of Economics and Advisor to both the Undergraduate Womxn in Economics Society "UWIES" and the Department of Economics Collective "DEC". Professor Wilson is a Co-Chair of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference Committee which serves the wider UC Davis campus community.
Professor Wilson's research is focused on the impact of course design on student sense of belonging, and their choice to major in economics. The goal of her careful design of in-person, hybrid and online courses is to transform a large lecture course into the experience of a small interactive classroom for her students.
- Wilson, J.L.F. "Using Backward Design to create a more Diverse, Equitable and Inclusive Principles Course " (forthcoming).
- Wilson, J.L.F., and D. Stimel. "Practicing the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: Assessing Winners and Losers when a Course Moves Online " (forthcoming).
- Wilson, J.L.F., and D. Stimel. "Finding a Simple Solution to the Problem of Student Evaluations: An Index of Traditional Evaluation Questions” (forthcoming).
- Wilson, J.L.F., D. Stimel and S. Ghosh. "Hybrid vs Traditional: Student Performance Differences in an Economic Development Course” (ongoing).
- Wilson, J. L. F., and S. Sheffrin. "Understanding Surveys of Taxpayer Honesty." FinanzArchiv 61.2 (June 2005).
- Wilson, J. L. F., and A. Taylor. "International Trade and Finance: Complementaries in the United Kingdom 1870–1913 and the United States 1920–30." Journal of International Money and Finance 30 (February 2011).
- Wilson, J. L. F. "Attracting FDI in Central and Eastern Europe and the Former USSR" (manuscript, in progress).
- Wilson, J. L. F. "Host Country Location Choice of Foreign Investors" (manuscript, in progress).
Janine Lynn Flathmann Wilson teaches courses in labor economics, economic history, economic development, public finance and principles of microeconomics.
Expanding Diversity in Undergraduate Classes with Advancements in (the) Teaching (of) Economics (EDUCATE) Workshop (2021), American Economic Association
- Academic Senate Small Grant in the Aid of Research (2022-2023)
- UC Online Research Award for “Comparison of Delivery Models for Principles of Microeconomics Courses” $82,000 (2022)
- Participant in the California Learning Lab grant for the redesign of Calculus for Social Scientists at UC Davis (2022-present)
- Academic Senate Small Grant in the Aid of Research (2021-2022)
- ILTI Award for Hybrid Redesign of Principles of Microeconomics (2019-2020)
- Academic Senate Small Grant in the Aid of Research (2019-2020)
- ILTI Online Course Grant for the creation of a fully online ECN1A $100,000 (2016-2018)
- UC Davis College of Letters and Science Teaching Award, 2018
- Provost's Hybrid Course Award, UC Davis, 2015
- Nominated for the Excellence in Education Award presented by the ASUCD Academic Affairs Commission, 2007, 2010 and 2012